Common disinfectants are not active against the permanent forms of parasites. Most of the organic compounds (e.g. alcohols and formaldehydes) cannot achieve an effect that is sufficient for clinical practice, as they do not adequately penetrate the complex shell.
It is therefore necessary to use disinfectants that are active against parasites (listed by the German Veterinary Medicine Society, DVG) to inactivate parasites and their permanent states. These disinfectants usually are phenol derivatives that are not recommended for daily use in health care due to their toxicological properties.