Adhering to only few basic rules of action already can help avoid a transmission of influenza viruses to healthy people. Thorough hand hygiene plays a crucial role in preventing influenza infection.
Actions to be taken in case of influenza infection
- Do not cough or sneeze into your hands, but into the elbow pit or into a tissue. The tissue should be thrown in the bin after use
- After contact with infected people or contaminated material, perform hand hygiene by washing with soap and water, or by disinfecting your hands for at least 30 seconds using an alcohol-based hand rub
- Also disinfect surfaces and objects touched with hands
- Air closed rooms for five to ten minutes several times a day
- Wipe up respiratory secretions with single-use tissues; afterwards, discard them in a hygienic way
To inactivate influenza viruses on the hands, we recommend using alcohol-based hand rubs with virucidal activity against enveloped viruses. They are available at pharmacies.