The working group "Hospital & Practice Hygiene" of the Association of the Scientific Medical Societies (AWMF) recommends the following procedure in case of suspected tuberculosis (TB).
- The staff needs to wear a multi-layered face mask.
- The patient needs to be instructed not to cough directly at anyone and to cover their mouth and nose with a cloth when coughing.
- Rapid diagnostic clarification
- Thorough room ventilation
- Wipe disinfection of potentially contaminated surfaces
AWMF (2006) Infektionsverhütung bei Verdacht auf und bei diagnostizierter Tuberkulose (Tb). Hyg Med, 31 (3): 103-105. (Guideline currently under review.)